With football season right around the corner, McCall Farms is sharing their top tailgating recipes that are sure to make fans cheer. From Sweet Potato Hummus to Skillet Corn & Chile Con Queso, these appetizers are the perfect accompaniment to a Football Funday.
“McCall Farms appetizers are flavorful, easy to make, and perfect for sharing while tailgating,” says Annie Ham, marketing director at McCall Farms. “Our recipes not only taste delicious, they are also packed with nutrients. We’re proud to offer the freshest farm-grown canned produce available.”
McCall Farms invites all to enjoy the following dishes during tailgating festivities:
- 1 cup Bruce’s Yams Cut sweet Potatoes
- 1 (19 oz.) can garbanzo beans; rinsed and drained
- 2 tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Tahini (sesame paste)
- 5 garlic cloves; roasted or raw
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- Transfer Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes into a food processor. Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, Tahini, garlic, olive oil, cumin, salt and about 2 tbs. of water to start with.
- Pulse the mixture until smooth, scraping down the sides of bowl and adding water to thin mixture if it seems too thick.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with a drizzle of olive oil. Top with a sprinkle of paprika if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tbs. corn oil
- 1/2 small white onion; diced
- 1 (4 oz.) jar pimentos; drained or minced sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 oz. (from a 7 oz. can) diced green chilies
- 1 (15 oz.) can Glory Foods Skillet Corn
- 1 (15 oz.) jar con queso
- soft corn tortillas for serving
- Heat corn oil in a medium saucepan and sauté onion for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in pimentos (or sun-dried tomatoes) and chilies; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Glory Foods Skillet Corn and con queso; reduce heat and simmer on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with warmed tortillas and a plate of salted cucumbers.
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 (15 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned (or Unseasoned) Pinto Beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can hominy
- 1 (15 oz.) can light red kidney beans
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey or lean ground beef (browned)
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. cumin (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tbs. hot sauce
- Roughly chop stewed tomatoes, and drain beans.
- Combine all ingredients together in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer on medium or low about 25 minutes or longer. Can use a crock pot if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
ABOUT MCCALL FARMS:
One of America’s leading producers of farm fresh canned vegetables and fruit, McCall Farms has been cultivating food for more than 177 years. The family-owned and operated company produces a wide variety of Southern-style products under the Bruce's Yams, Margaret Holmes, Glory Foods and Peanut Patch Boiled Peanuts, as well as private-label and foodservice products, all of which are sold nationwide. Based in Effingham, South Carolina, McCall Farms products are grown on 2,000 acres of family farmland with an additional 18,000 acres contracted throughout South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.