- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (15-oz.) can Bruce’s Yams® Sweet Potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 (12-oz.) can fat free evaporated milk
- 1 (14-oz.) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbl vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, tipping pan quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of pan.
- In food processor or mixer, mix together sweet potatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, egg whites and vanilla until blended.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Place in baking dish large enough to hold the 9-inch round pan and add hot water to dish until one inch deep.
- Carefully place in oven and bake for one hour to one hour 15 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from water, cool pan completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Loosen edge of flan with a knife and invert flan on larger serving plate.
- Pour the remaining caramelized syrup over the flan.
Serves 8 to 10.