Sweet Potato Flan
Our Sweet Potato Flan is thick, rich and sweet! Perfect way to end a great holiday meal. Mashed sweet potatoes give this dessert recipe a more dense, textured quality than your traditional flan.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 3/4 cup sugar (for melting)
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yams Sweet Potatoes (drained and mashed)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 (12 oz.) can fat free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14 oz.) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Steps to Prepare
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place sugar in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Watch sugar carefully as it burns quickly.
- Immediately pour melted sugar into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, tipping pan quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of pan.
- In food processor or mixer, mix together Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, evaporated milk, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, egg whites and vanilla until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place the 9-inch cake pan in a large baking dish and add hot water to dish until the cake pan is one inch deep.
- Carefully place in oven and bake for one hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from water, and cool pan completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Loosen edge of flan with a knife and invert flan on larger serving plate.
- Pour the remaining caramelized syrup over the flan, and serve.