Sweet Potato & Jalapeno Soup
Great sweet potato soup with a spicy twist! Our Sweet Potato & Jalapeno Soup makes a great weeknight meal during fall and winter.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 1 (40 oz.) can Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes
- 2 slices thick bacon; cut in thirds
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers; sliced into rings and seeds shaken out
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, sliced very thin
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
Steps to Prepare
- Drain yams and transfer to a bowl to mash; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, fry bacon to render fat then remove meat (discard). Add jalapenos and fry for 2 minutes (remove a few for garnish).
- Next add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and Cajun seasoning; saute for 10 minutes over low heat. Stir in lemon juice, parsley and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer; cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat and (in 2 batches) transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Return blended soup to the saucepan and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in cream and lemon zest.
- To serve, divide soup between 4 warmed bowls and garnish with reserved jalapeno slices.